Welcome to my shack! I got my amateur radio license at age twelve after a visit to the Franklin Institute’s radio room a few years before. In 2019 I returned to the hobby as part of my healing process. I needed to reclaim my lost hobby from childhood. Now I live in a condo in south Philly which does not allow outdoor antennas, but I feel determined to have as much fun as possible.
I operate QRP and CW. Low power operations reduce the chance of interfering with my neighbors. I enjoy the fun-loving spirit of the QRP clubs and events. The idea of doing the most using the least appeals to my Taoist philosophy.
I began learning Morse Code as a child from my grandfather, who flew seaplanes in the Navy during World War II. He made me a chart which my Mom raised with Elmers Glue. I remember reading it while going to sleep. A few years later I got some tapes and got serious. To my delight, when I got back into the hobby I could still copy at an acceptable rate. CW gets the most distance per Watt. I think of it as a second language. I love it.
My “Antenna farm” consists of whatever I can fit on my window sill. At least I live in a loft. I use a magnetic loop for HF and a J-pole for VHF/UHF. The building also has an amazing roof deck, and I take a vertical up there during the nice part of the year. I hope to have a QSL with you sometime.
- Elecraft KX3 HF Transceiver
- Kx33 Low-RFI AC Power Supply for HF Transceivers
- HAMPod K3 Reader
- Heil Sound Pro 7 iC Headset Mic
- 10-80 Meter Alpha Loop Antenna
- Buddistick 40-10 Meter Loaded Whip Antenna
- AX1 Multiband Whip Antenna
- MFJ-1026 Noise Canceler
- Yoyotenna Deluxe
- N3ZN ZN-9 Iambic Key
- N3ZN ZN-HKII Straight Key
- KXPD3 Precision iambic Keyer Paddle
- Kenwood TM-V71 VHF/UHF Base Station
- Heil Sound HM 12 Microphone
- KB9VBR 2 Meter J-Pole
- Kenwood TH-D74A Triband HT
- Diamond SRH320A Triband HT Antenna
- ClearNode - AllStar and Echolink Node
- Arrow II Satellite Antenna
- Courage Kenny Handiham
- SKCC #21554
- QRP ARCI #16811
- NAQCC #9972
- QRP Fox Hunt
- Flying Pigs #4161
- Four States QRP Club #2114
- FISTS #19405